The State Council for Persons with Disabilities, Delaware Association of the Deaf, Delaware Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and Independent Resources, Inc. are holding a virtual public meeting to receive input regarding a draft bill for the registration of Interpreters for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and Deaf-Blind. The bill provides a registration process for ASL interpreters in Delaware which would, in part, do the following:
- Provide for consumer protection by helping ensure that only qualified individuals would be able to provide this vital and necessary service.
- Utilize a credentialing process already established, validated and nationally recognized.
- Provide a quality assurance process.
- Establish a statewide professional standard similar to other human service fields.
- Create a public listing of credentialed interpreters accessible to all consumers of interpreter services in Delaware.
- Empower consumers to verify credentials of interpreters independently.
The Virtual meeting is on Wednesday, April 28, 2021 from 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM. More details will follow regarding registration and process. However, we wanted to let you know about the public meeting as soon as we could. Interpreters will be provided.
Attached is a copy of the proposed interpreter bill – Interpreter Registry Draft no track 12-22-20 (Requires Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader or similar)
** If you cannot make it, feel free to send us an email with your concerns, questions or comments. **